GUIDELINES for exhibitions in the Main Gallery:
1. Artists desiring to exhibit at the ACWC Gallery must fill out a Gallery Proposal form and submit it to ACWC along with 6 – 10 digital photos or samples of work produced in the last three-five years, as well as supplemental materials (artist resume/ bio, artist statement, description of work). If work is in progress, a detailed description of the project should be attached. This should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. An appointment with the gallery curator is required to show samples of work.
2. There is no charge for exhibiting at the ACWC Gallery but ACWC will receive 20% commission from the artist of the retail price of all work sold.
3. All paintings and drawings must be framed and wired and ready for hanging. If using stretched canvas without frames, the edges must be painted
4. The Gallery has some display pedestals available. Check with ACWC staff if you have special display needs.
5. The ACWC Gallery Committee reserves the right to restrict the number and size of items to be displayed.
6. The ACWC Gallery Committee reserves the right to restrict subject matter.
7. The artist will bring in work as scheduled. The curator usually installs the exhibition, but the artist is welcome to participate in the process. Artist may hang his/her own work as per experience. The complete exhibit will may not be de-installed before the date acknowledged in the contract. Artist is expected to help with the de-installation of the exhibition as scheduled.
8. ACWC will provide light refreshments for an Artist Reception. Artist is responsible for mailing invitations to his or her guest list.
9. ACWC will publicize the exhibit and opening, and provide display materials such as a price list or programs and identifying labels for artwork to be exhibited in the main gallery.
10. The artist will submit a list and description of work at the time noted in the schedule agreed upon by the artist and the ACWC in the contract.
11. The artist will send publicity materials such as bio, exhibit information, and photo at the time noted in the schedule agreed upon by the artist and the ACWC in the contract.
12. Artworks exhibited in the ACWC's galleries are covered by the ACWC's insurance, however, the artist is responsible for a $250.00 deductible in the event of a claim.
13. Any packing and shipping charges, insurance costs, other handling expenses and risk of loss or damage incurred in the delivery of the works of art from the artist to ACWC and in their return shall be the artist’s responsibility.
14. Selections for exhibits are made by ACWC’s gallery committee.
15. Individuals wishing to display a collection of artwork must hold title of works of art to be displayed or have written permission of owner of artwork for display. Proposals for exhibits of collections will be evaluated based on the quality of the work in the collection (below), as well as its historical and local interest.
16. Artists wishing to collaborate should each be listed on the proposal form (including individual contact information), and each artist should submit digital photos and/or samples of work, along with additional material requested (above).
Criteria used by our gallery panel to determine individual artists exhibiting in the ACWC's main gallery:
- Technical facility evidenced in the work
- The artist’s credentials and exhibit experience
- The strength of the artist’s statement, description of work and ideas
- The consistency of the artist’s style, and evidence of a cohesive exhibit
- The artist’s availability
- The suitability of the artwork for the space
- Other factors, such as local interest.
* Copied work should clearly state the name of the artist who authored the original work copied. Work completed in a class or workshop setting in which the artist was a student, or copied from sources such as magazines or photos taken by another artist is not encouraged. Incorporation of materials from found sources into original collaged or assembled pieces is considered to be fair use.
Proposals for installations will be considered based on the artist’s clear description of the installation and its concept. Use of found objects and existing artwork, when incorporated into an installation, is acceptable. Other exceptions will be made at the committee’s discretion.
ACWC member artists in good standing wishing to exhibit in our upstairs Members' Gallery should contact the Arts Council.